Advanced Certified Paralegal
Susan began working for Larry Rice in 2004, a few months before graduating from The University of Memphis with a Bachelor of Professional Studies degree in Paralegal Services. Susan also has an Associate of Applied Sciences degree in Paralegal Studies from State Technical Institute at Memphis, now known as Southwest Tennessee Community College (STCC), which she received in 2002. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from both colleges.
In 2007, Susan had to leave the firm when she moved out of state. During her absence from the firm, Susan worked at family law firms in Texas and Maryland and earned several paralegal credentials from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA). She returned to the firm in December 2011 after moving back to the Memphis area.
She received her Certified Paralegal (CP) credential from NALA in 2010.
Susan also has seven Advanced Certified Paralegal (ACP) credentials from NALA in:
1. Alternative Dispute Resolution, received in 2010;
2. Trial Practice, received in 2010;
3. Discovery, received in 2011;
4. Family Law – Division of Property and Spousal Support, received in 2015;
5. Family Law – Dissolution Case Management, received in 2016;
6. Family Law – Child Custody, Support and Visitation received in 2018; and
7. Family Law – Adoption and Assisted Reproduction, received in 2019.
Susan New was the first person in Tennessee to be an ACP in Family Law, having completed all four certifications offered by NALA in family law. As of June 2019, only six people in the nation had completed all the advanced certifications offered in family law.
Ms. New served on the Board of the Greater Memphis Paralegal Alliance (GMPA) as Treasurer from January 2015 through December 2016.