What Should I Do if My Ex is Putting Our Child at Risk in Tennessee?


There is nothing more important to any good parent than the well-being of their child. Of course, when a divorce happens and custody is split between parents (whether 50/50 or not) it can be more difficult to ensure a child’s well-being is protected at all times. Fortunately, in many cases, both parents can agree on a parenting strategy and will work together to best raise their child. However, as you may know, this isn’t always the case. Sometimes, parents don’t agree on the best way to raise a child, and in the worst cases, one parent will even put their child in danger, whether on purpose or not. If you believe that your ex is endangering your child in some way, it’s paramount you continue reading and reach out to a seasoned Memphis, Tennessee child custody lawyer from Rice Law to learn more about how our firm can help protect your child’s well-being.

What can I do if I believe my ex is endangering our child?

If you believe your ex is endangering the welfare of your child, there are several steps you can take. First and foremost, it may pay to simply speak with your ex and do a bit of digging on your own to see if your suspicions are true. However, if you already have proof that your ex is endangering your child and doesn’t plan on doing anything to remedy the issue, you should speak with a competent Memphis, Tennessee family law attorney who can work to get a modification to your custody agreement. The core of every child custody agreement is a child’s well-being, and if we can prove that your ex is no longer acting in your child’s well-being, we should attain a modification to your custody agreement, wherein you either get sole custody of your child, or the other parent is granted supervised visitation. Some of the grounds that may warrant a child custody modification here in the state of Tennessee are as follows:

  • Drug or alcohol addiction
  • Domestic violence
  • Mental instability (of course, not every mental disorder will qualify, but if you can prove that because of your ex’s mental instability, he or she is unable to raise your child safely, you may qualify for a modification)

These are just some circumstances that may warrant a child custody modification. If you believe your ex is endangering your child in any other way, please don’t hesitate to speak with our firm so we can explore your legal options.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Memphis or anywhere in Tennessee, contact Rice Law to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.