What’s a Post-Judgment Modification & Can I Get One in TN?

Divorce is something no one wants to go through, and when they do, almost everyone wants it to be over as soon as possible. Divorce is an emotionally and financially taxing process, and it’s understandable that after one is finalized, people just want to move on with their lives. The beauty of divorce is that it does give unhappy couples a chance to start anew, however, with this opportunity comes almost certain change, and sometimes significant change, especially in the months and years after a divorce. Fortunately, courts do sometimes allow people to modify the initial terms of their divorces in what’s known as a post-judgment modification. If you would like to change your divorce terms and would like to learn more about these modifications, simply read on and reach out to a seasoned Memphis, Tennessee post-judgment modification lawyer from Rice Law to learn more about how we can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I change the terms of my divorce through a post-judgment modification?

To get a post-judgment modification in Tennessee, you’ll need to prove that you have undergone a significant and unforeseen change that no longer reflects the reality of your divorce agreement. There is a wide range of scenarios that may apply, and others that may not apply.

What are some examples of situations that may qualify for a modification?

Just some of the divorce terms you can modify under certain circumstances via a post-judgment modification can include child custody, child support, and spousal support (alimony). For example, if you don’t have custody of your children, but your ex has developed a substance abuse issue or is otherwise unable to care for your child’s best interests, you may bring this issue to the court’s attention and get custody to better provide for and protect your children. Conversely, if you were initially denied custody due to a substance abuse issue and are looking to get custody back after going through rehab or otherwise remedying the issue, you may also request a post-judgment modification.

As far as spousal support goes, when there is a significant change in financial ability to pay support, or a change in an actual need for support, an individual may request a modification. For example, if the person receiving support gets remarried, gets a higher paying job, or otherwise encounters a large sum of money, the spouse paying support may request termination of support. Additionally, if the person paying support develops a costly medical condition or loses their job, they may also request a modification to the support agreement.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Memphis or anywhere in Tennessee, contact Rice Law to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.